Thursday, February 22, 2007

climb.

the body knows the way up
the side, but I do not. there
is fear, the groping search

for granite holds, little ledges
I can't see, the feel of my slick
shoes slipping, pebble rain

descending on the two holding
my harness steady. there
is panic and remorse. but

the body knows this
is coming; it dissolves
fear with long shots

of adrenaline that turns
burning muscles into
steel. this alchemy,

the last push, a deep
breath, and the summit
of it all, the view above

the trees, and the safe
slow drop, descent to earth,
back among friends and firm dirt.

3 comments:

gautami tripathy said...

Very good ending!

gautami
In-between state of consciousness

twilightspider said...

Fascinating! I love the idea of it being the body conquering the mind's fear and not vice-versa. A very visceral poem.

Crafty Green Poet said...

Vertigo! You caught exactly the fact that the body itself is more secure here than we know. Still terrifying though.